Substitute Teaching

   Debra Kingshill
, Coordinator of Personnel Services | (707) 445-7039

Humboldt County has 31 school districts. Each district is an independent employer, meaning they each maintain their own list of substitutes, have their own salary schedule, and maintain personnel files for their employees. CLICK HERE for a complete list of our districts.

All substitute positions in this county require a current California Teaching Credential. If you do not possess a California Credential, the minimum requirement is an Emergency 30-Day Substitute Permit. The term on this permit is one year, the 30 days relates to the length of time in any one classroom. It is designed for day-to-day substituting, not long-term positions.

30-Day Substitute Credential Requirements:

For more information, contact Personnel at (707) 445-7039 or visit the Commission on Teacher Credentialing web site at