On the third Thursday of each month, the Humboldt County Office of Education teams up with local elementary schools to offer a hands-on, family-focused event around the elements of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math). These events are free of charge and open to all Humboldt County families.
Each Family Maker Night runs from 5:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., but is in a new location each month in order to provide regional access for all families and students.
Family Maker Nights are part of the “Maker Movement” in education which allows students to practice skills required of the 21st Century learner, such as critical thinking, problem solving, creativity, innovation, communication and collaboration. Activities can be based in technology or use simple supplies as cardboard, scissors, and duct tape to create or invent something new.
When given the opportunity, there is no limit to what a child can create and Humboldt County Office of Education wants to provide the opportunity to the children in our community to feel free to explore, tinker, and invent and an alternative way of learning.
Families and students throughout the community are invited to take part in any of the upcoming events and are welcome at all locations, whether they attend there or not.
- February 15 at Lost Coast High – a cooperative effort between North Coast Learning Academy, Lost Coast High, and Humboldt County Office of Education
- March 15 at Sunny Brae Middle School – a cooperative effort between Arcata Elementary School, Sunny Brae Middle School, and Humboldt County Office of Education
- March 15 at Cuddeback School – a cooperative effort between Cuddeback, Rio Dell, and Scotia Schools and Humboldt County Office of Education
- May 17 at Humboldt County Office of Education in the Sequoia Conference Center
Three other STEAM events, not sponsored by HCOE but open to the community are:
- March 30 – Just Make It at Arcata High School. For more information contact Jason Sidell at firstname.lastname@example.org
- March 30 – Seussical STEAM night at Hydesville Elementary School from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. For more information contact: email@example.com or 707-408-3343
- April 6 – STEAM Night at Lafayette Elementary. For more information contact Hope Von Werlhof at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information or if you would like to host your own Family Maker Night, please contact Tanya Trump, CTE Learning Specialist, Humboldt County Office of Education at (707) 445-7817 or email@example.com