(Eureka)—Fourteen Humboldt County teachers will be honored and receive Excellence In Teaching Awards in a virtual ceremony on Wednesday, May 12th beginning at 7:00 p.m. Colleagues, friends and family members are encouraged to watch online at https://hcoe.org/awards/.
Since 1986, The Humboldt County Office of Education (HCOE) sponsors this annual celebration by recognizing outstanding educators who were nominated by colleagues, students, parents or school administrators and selects the honorees. For the second year the event is being held online due to the pandemic.
The 2021 Excellence In Teaching Award recipients are:
- Davena Bagnall, Arcata High School
- Diane Blanchard, Pine Hill School
- Sean Curry, McKinleyville High School
- Jennifer Fowler, Eureka High School
- Jeweline Huddleston, Walker Elementary School
- Chanel Leipzig, Morris Elementary School
- Lynne Mahoney, Glen Paul School, HCOE
- Tara Ralulu, Six Rivers Charter High School
- Brooke Raven, Fortuna High School
- Jill Rohn, Pacific Coast High School
- Terri Silvers, Washington Elementary School
- Mauro Staiano, Eureka High School
- Lisa Stockwell, Scotia Elementary School
- Tess Yinger, Peninsula Union Elementary School
The Excellence In Teaching Awards recognize classroom teachers from Kindergarten through 12th grade who have a minimum of five years’ teaching experience and have been identified as exemplary by their coworkers, students or school communities.
Humboldt County Superintendent of Schools, Dr. Chris Hartley said of this year’s awards, “Each recipient’s recognition is amazing for all the right reasons, with the main one being the representation of excellence in service to our most precious asset: Our students.” He added, “Serving students and families during the COVID pandemic has required heroic efforts, massive creativity, perseverance and loads of care and compassion for all they serve.”
Three additional educators will be celebrated for receiving a Jean Olson Career Achievement Award, recognizing an exceptional veteran or retired teach for their lifelong contributions to public education, children, and the community. This award was established in 1995, and in 1998 was dedicated to the memory of long-time County Board of Education Member and President, Jean Olson, who passed away that year.
This year’s Jean Olson Award Winners are:
- Cathy Dickerson, Humboldt County Office of Education
- Ann Lawlor, Blue Lake Union School
- Sharon Ross, Scotia Union School District
Each of the honorees will have an opportunity to talk about their acknowledgement. 2020 Humboldt County Teacher of the Year and California 2021 Teacher of the Year, Nora Wynne and Humboldt County Superintendent of Schools, Dr. Chris Hartley will share remarks about this year’s event during the scheduled event. Learn more about this year’s ceremony at https://hcoe.org/excellence-in-teaching/.