Gary Roberts Industrial Technology Showcase of Excellence
The Industrial Technology Showcase of Excellence is a program designed to recognize excellence in specialized areas of the Industrial Technology trades.
Specific Objectives for the Showcase of Excellence:
- To encourage students to acknowledge their achievements in the trades
- To encourage students to become more proficient at industry based skills
- To encourage students to improve their leadership and interview ability
- To provide recognition for students with outstanding industrial skills
- To offer opportunity for students to display professionalism
- To assess students’ knowledge of practical skill
- To assess students’ accuracy and workmanship
The Industrial Technology Showcase of Excellence is designed for students with projects in Metal, Wood, Architectural Design/Drafting, Industrial Prototyping, and Automotive Technology. Students will be nominated to participate by their teachers in either the Novice (beginner) or the Advanced category of their trade.
The highlight of the show is the awarding of the Gary Roberts Best of Show Award, awarded to a junior or senior whose project, regardless of division, is deemed by the judges to be the overall finest. The selected project features outstanding functionality, sophistication, innovation in design, and superlative craftsmanship.
Gary Roberts was a member of the Humboldt County Board of Education, serving some 26 years. Throughout his service, he was a strong advocate for quality career and technical education in County schools and valued the skill, talent, and hard work students exhibited. With his son, Gary built and raced his own stock car. He liked to say his personal interest was in things with “engines attached to them”.