Under general direction of the special education director, performs varied and moderately complex clerical and recordkeeping work involving proficiency in data entry, word processing, graphics, and statistical report preparation;serves as receptionist for department and performs duties requiring diligent exercise of judgment and initiative; does related work as required.
Examples of Duties
Serves as secretary to the special education director and is lead clerical position for the Humboldt County Office of Education (HCOE)special education;prepares agendas and summary notes of staff/committee meetings and initiates follow-up correspondence when necessary; prepares correspondence and memos from verbal instructions or notes; independently composes inquiries and/or replies; designs and creates program brochures, flyers and announcements as needed;prepares and processes payroll documents and leave paperwork for all regular and supplemental staff; keeps daily messages, schedules meetings, books rooms and monitors expenditures for special education director; initiates order of materials for department personnel upon request and maintains record of purchase orders,invoices and expenses; prepares travel authorizations and expense claims and arranges travel and transportation for all program staff;assists in the assignment and monitoring of HCOE cars for school related activities; assists in the coordination of other office staff when assigned; assists with the coordination of Medi-Cal billing activities including Random Moment Time Survey (RMTS) trainings and trouble shooting of staff questions, maintaining RMTS time survey participant list, tracking RMTS assigned moments and their completion; assist with coordinating monthly submission of Lead Education Agency (LEA)billing by special education direct services providers; performs other similar clerical/accounting duties as assigned.
Employment Standards/Education and Experience
Graduation from high school or demonstration of comparable basic skills competency and at least three years of progressively responsible clerical and recordkeeping experience. Previous school site or education program experience desirable.
- School based data programs;
- Receptionist and telephone etiquette techniques;
- Basic school accounting principles;
- School site operations;
- Grant guidelines and legal parameters of various department programs;
- Proper preparation of correspondence;
- Graphics software;
- Modern office terminology, procedures and equipment,including varied word and data processing software, e.g. Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Work without direct supervision;
- Accurately key 60 words per minute and enter moderately complex data with accuracy;
- Create new documents such as forms, announcements and informational brochures;
- Communicate with tact and courtesy;
- Respond to routine and non-routine inquiries;
- Use proper English in filing and indexing and other identifying tasks;
- Use proper English with correct spelling and punctuation and edit other’s work correctly;
- Follow oral and written instructions;
- Operate modern office equipment, including computers;
- Adapt to changing work demands;
- Independently manage task priorities to meet deadlines;
- Work under varying degrees of stress, including regular interruptions from staff, students and members of the public;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of individuals and groups;
- Read and comprehend fine print, such as contracts,spreadsheets, and texts;
- Communicate effectively via telephone, computer modem and in person.
Range 37 | Personnel Commission Approved:09/12/2017