Under general direction of the principal, to perform varied and moderately complex clerical and recordkeeping work involving proficiency in data entry, word processing, graphics, and statistical report preparation;serves as backup receptionist for department and performs duties requiring diligent exercise of judgment and initiative; does related work as required.
Examples of Duties
Serves as secretary to the principal and is lead clerical position forthe Humboldt County Office of Education (HCOE) severely handicapped on-site and off-site special day classes (SDC), but under the same administrative unit;prepares agendas and summary notes of staff/committee meetings and initiates follow-up correspondence when necessary; prepares correspondence and memos from verbal instructions or notes; independently composes inquiries and/or replies; designs and creates program brochures, flyers and announcements as needed; facilitates annual student registration documentation; serves as custodian of student records;parent contact, and subsequent school site placement/enrollment;prepares and submits semi-annual program certification forms; prepares student Average Daily Attendance (ADA)attendance reporting and other official permanent records; administers first aid in emergency situations; prepares and processes payroll documents for all school staff; submits data to document completion of yearly mandated reports;coordinator for testing (STAR & CAPA) including ordering, in-servicing staff,site distribution and reporting;arranges for daily substitutes for teachers and aides; keeps daily messages and monitors expenditures for principal; initiates order of materials for all on-site and off-site SDC’s upon request and maintains record of purchase orders,invoices and expenses; prepares travel authorizations and expense claims and arranges travel and transportation for all program staff;assists in the assignment and monitoring of HCOE cars for school related activities; assists in the coordination of other office staff when assigned; performs other similar clerical/accounting duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Graduation from high school or demonstration of comparable basic skills competency and at least three years of progressively responsible clerical and recordkeeping experience. Previous school site or education program experience desirable.
- School based data attendance programs;
- Receptionist and telephone etiquette techniques;
- Basic school accounting principles;
- School site operations;
- Grant guidelines and legal parameters of various department programs;
- Proper preparation of correspondence;
- Graphics software;
- Modern office terminology, procedures and equipment,including varied word and data processing software, e.g. Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Work without direct supervision;
- Accurately key 60 words per minute and enter moderately complex data with accuracy;
- Create new documents such as forms, announcements and informational brochures;
- Communicate with tact and courtesy;
- Respond to routine and non-routine inquiries;
- Use proper English in filing and indexing and other identifying tasks;
- Use proper English with correct spelling and punctuation and edit other’s work correctly;
- Follow oral and written instructions;
- Operate modern office equipment, including computers;
- Adapt to changing work demands;
- Independently manage task priorities to meet deadlines;
- Work under varying degrees of stress, including regular interruptions from staff, students and members of the public;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of individuals and groups;
- Read and comprehend fine print, such as contracts,spreadsheets, and texts;
- Communicate effectively via telephone, computer modem and in person.
Range 37 | Personnel Commission Approved:08/09/05
G:Job Desc/Special Education (SDC) Program Secretary2005