Humboldt County Office of Education: Financial Aid Applications

Financial Aid Applications

Fequently Asked Financial Aid Questions

Why should I fill out a financial aid application?

Because the rumors are NOT true. Most families in California qualify for free money in the form of grants, scholarships, and other aid. It is worth it to apply if your family has a little or has a lot.

Is it safe?

Yes! Your application is safe on the Internet. FAFSA on the Web, CADAA, and Chafee Grant in conjunction with the supported browser, use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocol to establish a secure session between the browser and the FAFSA on the Web server.

How do I know which application to fill out?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) applies to citizens, legal permanent residents, eligible non- citizens (per FAFSA), and T visa holders.

Students may need to fill out the California Dream Act (AB 540/SB 68) Application if they are an undocumented individual, DACAmented individual, U visa holder, or have TPS Protected Status.

The Chafee Grant Application, is for students who are or were in foster care for at least one day, between the ages of 16 and 18 as a dependent or ward of the court and have financial need.

For more information, see this handy guide.

What do I need to get started & finish my financial aid application in the quickest way possible?

  1. Social Security Numbers for the student & parent or Alien Registration Number (if you are not a U.S. citizen)

  2. FSA ID & password information for student & parent

  3. Use the IRS data retrieval tool and bring your tax documents from the prior year to answer a few questions.