Humboldt County Office of Education: Credentialing


The Humboldt County Office of Education provides a variety of services to credentialed teachers and prospective educators for initial issuance and renewals of permits and documents.
Renewals of Existing Documents

Most documents, including all clear and Professional Clear Teaching and Service Credentials are now required to be renewed online through the Commission on Teacher Credentialing website. This is a fast and easy process and you will be issued a new document quickly.

Some documents are not yet required or eligible for online renewal such as child Development Permits.  These documents must be renewed using a paper application.  If you get an error message on the website that states you do not have a credential that is eligible for renewal online, print off the error message and contact our office at (707) 445-7039 for assistance.

Renewals can be done anytime within a year of the expiration date and the renewal date will be assigned to coincide with that expiration date.

CTC Renewal Page

It is your responsibility to ensure that you maintain a valid credential or permit for as long as you are providing service in a position requiring a credential or permit and that you register this valid credential with the County Office of Education. County Offices of Education are required to withhold pay warrants for teachers who do not hold the appropriate credential or permit for their current assignment. With the new online renewal requirement, if you wait until your credential or permit has expired before renewing, you could have a gap that puts your paycheck at risk.

Substitute Teaching

Humboldt County has 31 school districts. Each district is an independent employer, meaning they each maintain their own list of substitutes, have their own salary schedule, and maintain personnel files for their employees. CLICK HERE for a complete list of our districts.

All substitute positions in this county require a current California Teaching Credential. If you do not possess a California Credential, the minimum requirement is an Emergency 30-Day Substitute Permit. The term on this permit is one year, the 30 days relates to the length of time in any one classroom. It is designed for day-to-day substituting, not long-term positions.

30-Day Emergency Permit Application Process

Please contact the Personnel Office if you need assistance with the 30 Day Emergency at (707) 445-7039.

Substitute Permitting Process

For more information, give us a call or visit the Commission on Teacher Credentialing web site at


Child Development Permits

Child Development Permits are issued by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) to authorize service to students in child development programs serving children from infancy through elementary school.

  • Assistant Teacher
  • Associate Teacher
  • Teacher
  • Master Teacher
  • Site Supervisor
  • Program Director

Child Development Permits are issued for five years and have renewal requirements written on the face of the document. Please read your document carefully so that you know what you will need to do in order to be eligible to renew or upgrade your document before it expires. Some documents require professional growth activities in order to renew.

The Child Development Training Consortium (CDTC) provides stipends to pay for permit and fingerprint fees for individuals applying for or renewing a Child Development Permit, whether or not the individual is employed in a position requiring the permit.

For initial issuance of a Child Development Permit please follow these steps:

  • Review the Qualification Matrix to determine which permit is appropriate for you
  • Complete the 41-4 application
  • Complete the CDTC application
  • Complete verification of employment (if required for your permit)
  • Obtain official sealed transcripts (if required for your permit)
  • Complete Livescan Fingerprints for the CTC.  You will need your fingerprint receipt in order to be reimbursed for the fee from the CDTC.
  • Make an appointment with Marika Myrick at (707) 445-7039 to review completed Child Development Permit applications before submitting them to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing.

For renewal of your Child Development Permit:

Child Development Permits have renewal requirements printed on the face of the document. Please ensure that you have met these requirements before you apply to renew your permit.

Teacher, Master Teacher, Site Supervisor, and Program Director permits are renewable online. This is fast and easy. If you try to renew your permit online and receive an error message, contact our office at 445-7039 for assistance.

After you complete the online renewal, you may complete the CDTC application to apply for reimbursement of the renewal fee. Submit this form to our office with a copy of your payment confirmation receipt and we will complete Section D and submit it to CDTC for processing.

Assistant and Associate Teacher permits are only renewable by paper application at this time.

  • If you are renewing within three years of the initial issuance, please submit your original permit document with your application.
  • If you want CDTC to pay your renewal fee, please complete the CDTC application and submit it with your application. Assistant and Associate Teacher renewals are eligible for reimbursement until funding is exhausted.
  • If your renewal requirements include additional coursework, sealed transcripts must be provided.
  • If experience is required for your renewal, the verification of experience form must be signed by your employer.
Adding Authorizations to Current Credentials, Including English Learner/CLAD/BCLAD

To add authorizations to a current credential, visit the Commission on Teacher Credentialing website .

Useful Links