Under the general direction of the Higher Education Pathways Program Manager (Program Manager) and in coordination with Decade of Difference Initiative and Cal-SOAP consortium partners,plans and implements a wide variety of events, resources and activities which promote successful college/career readiness, eligibility and enrollment, and performs related work as required.
Examples of Duties
Coordination and Marketing of Events:
Work collaboratively with Program Manager to coordinate,promote, and deliver a variety of events, including but not limited to,North Coast College and Career Expo,Cash for College Workshops, I’ve Been Admitted to College CR and HSU, 11thgrade Experience at HSU, 12thgrade Preview at HSU and Humboldt Live! Middle School Program. Work with the Cal-SOAP Tutor Services Technician to secure tutors to work at events and supervise their support.Create and maintain several separate databases to track community volunteers, school principals/teachers, college and career representatives,college completion outcomes,etc. Work with appropriate supervisors to develop promotional and public relations materials (such as brochures, flyers,newsletters, social media, display boards, presentations, slide shows, etc.)for events and the Cal-SOAP program in general.
Work with Program Manager to foster and maintain positive, open and on-going communications and to align philosophies and goals with Decade of Difference, HCOE, Cal-SOAP partners,and school sites. Participate in consortium partner meetings,serve as the board co-note taker, and present event outcomes at meetings.Enter required Cal-SOAP data into web-based database, as well as, develop and maintain supplemental report systems, as necessary. Periodically required to modify daily/weekly work schedule in a reasonable manner to accommodate the needs of the program such as evening events/meetings and occasional Cal-SOAP Saturday trainings(for example, to present a training or if the Tutor Services Technician is unavailable.)Assist with tutor interviews or other Cal-SOAP work that requires assistance.
College and Career Presentations:
Provide monthly college and financial aid information for Cal-SOAP seniors at selected sites. Present grade appropriate college & career presentations to students at participating schools. Present college & career workshops at events to large groups of students (100+).
Education and Experience
Graduation from high school or comparable demonstration of basic competence; AA/AS degree completion with Bachelor’s degree preferred. Prior experience in events coordination and working with youth preferably in a student support services environment; experience in previous positions which have required strong customer service and public relations skills is expected. Applicants must possess a valid CA driver’s license, auto insurance,and have access to a reliable vehicle to perform certain tasks related to this position[mileage reimbursed].
- Event planning with the utilization of multiple technologies such as electronic presentations, video recording, live streaming, etc.
- Marketing and public relations strategies and techniques;
- Effective promotional strategies within schools and to the community;Individual, group, and business resources available in Humboldt County.
- Community College, California State University, and University of California eligibility criteria;
- Federal Application for Financial Aid (FAFSA) requirements;
- Career paths and future related educational opportunities for students;
- Relate well to and work cooperatively with a variety of agencies and school representatives, teens and community organization members;
- Speak to small and large groups with poise, confidence and clarity;
- Provide accurate college admissions and financial aid information to students;
- Communicate effectively via email, telephone, and in person with tact, courtesy and sensitivity;
- Organize work and manage complex projects simultaneously to meet deadlines;
- Maintain accurate records for program performance tracking and audits;
- Follow oral and written instructions;
- Take initiative,as well as, follow the directions of multiple program supervisors;
- Model the same professional dress code as the tutors, as outlined in the Cal-SOAP Program Handbook;
- Use Constant Contact, Google Docs/Sheets/Surveys and Microsoft Office Suite Proficiently (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, & Outlook), and Prezi;
- Lift/move materials generally weighing less than 20 pounds;
- Use a computer for producing written correspondence and for maintaining data files.
NOTE: This position is required to have a cell phone with reimbursement available based on current HCOE policy amount. These job duties may require sitting for long periods of time while using a desktop computer or completing paperwork.
Range:37 | Personnel Commission Approval: August 9, 2016