Under the general direction of the Assistant Superintendent of Educational Services, the Coordinator for School Support and Program Improvement works closely with districts to ensure program accountability and lends support to their efforts to achieve strong student outcomes. The Coordinator assists other Humboldt County Office of Education staff and local district personnel in identifying inservice needs and personally conducts trainings on the use of data to support successful implementation of the Local Control Accountability Plans (LCAP). The Coordinator serves as a liaison between the Humboldt County Office of Education and various other educational entities including Humboldt State University,College of the Redwoods, the California Department of Education, and other north coast region county office personnel involved in school site-based planning and program improvement support services. The Coordinator also represents the HCOE on regional and state level activities as assigned.
- Possess an appropriate California Administrative credential.
- Demonstrate competence in communicating effectively with professional staff and representatives of other local and state agencies both in written and oral form.
- Possess at least seven (7) years successful teaching and/or staff development experience and have demonstrated expertise in program planning, curriculum development and student assessment.
- Have developed a knowledge and understanding of various needs assessment techniques and instructional program improvement strategies.
- Demonstrate strong organizational, communication and human relations skills including group problem solving processes.
- Possess an advanced degree and experience/training in program and budget planning; staff and curriculum development; staff and program evaluation; categorical and other grant development.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as a resource to school district personnel on the best uses of data for instructional program decision-making.
- Works with local school district personnel to assess needs for staff development and then collaborates with other HCOE staff to meet those priority needs.
- Leads, coordinates and participates as needed in providing site-based program evaluation including the use of sophisticated student needs assessment data gathering processes and analysis.
- Coordinates the registry of private and home school programs located within the county, unless otherwise provided by the California Department of Education
- Assists schools with managing interdistrict attendance agreements and provides information and assistance to parents with filing appeals to the Humboldt County Board of Education.
- Serves as the technical advisor to local school districts regarding all program improvement and school accountability requirements as may be initiated by the state or federal government.
- Leads and/or coordinates grade-level and subject-specific professional learning community (PLC) instructional efforts.
- Supervises and evaluates other personnel within the department as assigned.
- Serves as a member of the Leadership Council.
- Actively engages in an ongoing program of professional development to maintain and improve management skills and leadership abilities.
- Participates in appropriate regional and statewide professional meetings.
- Recommends new procedures and changes in existing procedures governing the implementation and management of the department.
- Performs other duties as required.
Individuals who serve as Coordinator for School Support and Program Improvement provide services in the office as well as in various sites throughout the county, sometimes serving multiple sites in a single workday. Public speaking skills, group problem solving and leadership ability, the ability to communicate effectively in writing, the capacity to maintain personal demeanor during periods of peak work flow and perform efficiently within restricted timeframes are critical factors for success in this position.
Individuals who serve as management personnel must be willing to modify days/hours and to work additional days/hours on occasion with appropriate compensation and be willing to travel using own transportation with mileage reimbursed, or county office fleet vehicle, as the job may require.
Schedule B/Class 3 | Reviewed: 09/29/17