Under general direction of the principal, to perform varied and moderately complex clerical and recordkeeping work involving proficiency in data entry, word processing, graphics, and statistical report preparation;serves as backup receptionist for department and performs duties requiring diligent exercise of judgment and initiative; does related work as required.
Examples of Duties
Serves as secretary to the principal and lead clerical position for programs onsite and off-site, but under the same administrative unit;prepares agendas and summary notes of staff/committee meetings and initiates follow-up correspondence when necessary; prepares correspondence and memos from verbal instructions or notes; independently composes inquiries and/or replies; designs and creates program brochures, flyers and announcements as needed; facilitates annual student registration documentation, parent contact, and subsequent school site placement/enrollment;coordinates and participates with State school accountability reporting and data gathering;prepares official permanent records;assists with grant writing proposals and prepares subsequent end-of-year reports; submits data to document completion of yearly mandated reports;oversees state nutrition program for community schools, including preparation of contracts, state & federal reimbursements, and yearly audits; coordinator for testing (STAR & CAHSEE) including ordering, in-servicing staff,site distribution and reporting, and data analysis;responsible for completion and submittal to the State the HCOE Student National Origin Report (SNOR);arranges for daily substitutes for teachers and aides; keeps daily messages and monitors expenditures for principal; initiates order of materials for all Court and Community school sites upon request and maintains record of purchase orders,invoices and expenses; prepares travel authorizations and expense claims and arranges travel and transportation for all program staff; prepares payroll documents for all program staff; may be called upon to assist in the classroom with students when staffing needs arise;assists in the coordination of other office staff when assigned; performs other similar clerical/accounting duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Graduation from high school or demonstration of comparable basic skills competency and at least three years of progressively responsible clerical and recordkeeping experience. Previous school site or education program experience desirable.
- School-based data attendance programs and State accountability requirements
- Receptionist and telephone etiquette techniques;
- Basic school accounting principles;
- School site operations;
- Grant guidelines and legal parameters of various department programs;
- Proper preparation of correspondence;
- Graphics software;
- Modern office terminology, procedures and equipment,including varied word and data processing software.
- Initiate contact with the State regarding required reporting;
- Work without direct supervision;
- Accurately key 60 words per minute and enter moderately complex data with accuracy;
- Create new documents such as forms, announcements and informational brochures;
- Communicate with tact and courtesy;
- Respond to routine and non-routine inquiries;
- Use proper English in filing and indexing and other identifying tasks;
- Use proper English with correct spelling and punctuation and edit other’s work correctly;
- Follow oral and written instructions;
- Operate modern office equipment, including computers;
- Adapt to changing work demands;
- Independently manage task priorities to meet deadlines;
- Work under varying degrees of stress, including regular interruptions from staff,students and members of the public;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of individuals and groups;
- Read and comprehend fine print, such as contracts,spreadsheets, and texts;
- Communicate effectively via telephone, computer modem and in person.
Range 37 | Personnel Commission Approved: 11/15/05