Under supervision of the Supervisor of Maintenance and Operations to keep assigned areas of building, grounds, and parking lot clean, sanitary, safe, and orderly; to do routine skilled cleaning tasks; perform minor repairs to building and equipment; to perform groundskeeping tasks and to do related work as required. Provide security for facilities during unoccupied hours.
Examples of Duties
Dusts, sweeps, cleans, scrubs, strips, seals, waxes, polishes, mops or shampoos floor, walls, woodwork, furniture, windows and fixtures; cleans chalkboards and erasers. Sanitizes restroom fixtures, showers, and drinking fountains; operates floor polishers and scrubbing machines, carpet shampooers, vacuum cleaners; services soap and paper dispensers; sweeps and/or hoses entry ways, blacktop, patios, playground, sidewalks, parkways; replaces electrical plugs, lights and ballasts; moves and adjust furniture and equipment; prepares site for meetings or conference; receives, checks and delivers custodial supplies; secures facilities; irrigates, fertilizes, mows,weeds, and tends to planted areas as needed; contacts proper authority for assistance as needed, and may escort authorized or unauthorized persons in or from building and grounds; answers inquires from the public. Empties and washes refuse and recycling containers and waste paper baskets. Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Graduation from high school or comparable demonstration of basic competence and one (1) year of experience performing custodial or janitorial service is required. Additional specialized training or experience in carpentry, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, landscaping or painting desirable. Must maintain a current California Driver’s License.
- Proper school cleaning problems, methods, material and equipment;
- How to properly care for and use a myriad of chemicals, solvents, and fluids, some of which may be considered toxic and require special handling;
- Hazardous or unsafe conditions and/or practices and methods of correction;
- Lawn and garden care;
- Use of a variety of hand tools and power equipment;
- HVAC and security system operations.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with school staff and students;
- Follow instructions and keep accurate records including inventory, requisitions, packing slips;
- Plan, organize and effectively make use of time with limited direction;
- Maintain the cleanliness of buildings and perform routine and periodic custodial work as needed including floor refinishing and carpet cleaning;
- Use various hand/power tools, equipment, and measuring devices with knowledge and skill and maintain them in good working order;
- Install switches, receptacles, and basic wiring; use a multi-tester to troubleshoot various electrical components, circuits, etc.;
- Program various mechanical and electronic time clocks and controls for heating, lighting, security and sprinkler systems;
- Apply paint and finishes to interior/exterior surfaces and equipment with proficiency;
- Perform minor building and equipment repairs;
- Perform tasks associated with groundskeeping, including lawn and plant care;
- Stand, sit, crawl, walk, climb ladders, stoop, etc. with a high degree of confidence;
- Lift, move and transport furniture, equipment, and materials often in excess of 60 pounds without injury to self or damage to property;
- Stand for extended periods of time;
- Work efficiently indoors and outdoors in extreme temperatures;
- Work under varying degrees of stress;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of individuals and groups;
- Read and comprehend fine print such as instruction manuals, product labels, texts, catalogs, etc.;
- Communicate effectively via telephone, computer modem and in person.
NOTE: This position requires physical strength and stamina in order for an employee to perform the duties properly.
Range 30 | Classification Approved | Personnel Commission 1/14/92 | Reviewed and Approved 3/9/99 | g:Job Desc/Custodian-MaintWorker1999