Serves as secretary to both the Transportation Department and Sequoia Conference Center. Under general supervision by department leads, will perform various complex secretarial duties requiring diligent exercise of judgment and initiative.
This is a unique position that serves as Department Secretary to two different departments at the Humboldt County Office of Education. It requires flexibility to transition from one department to the other mid-way through each work day and to work independently as well as with others, depending on the events of the day. The right candidate will have a positive attitude and the ability to stay calm and practice good judgement under pressure.
Supervision Received and Exercised
This position is under the supervision of the Transportation Supervisor/Fleet Manager and the Manager of the Sequoia Conference Center.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares agendas and summary notes of staff/committee meetings and initiates follow-up correspondence when necessary.
- Prepares correspondence and memos from verbal instructions or notes; independently composes inquiries and/or replies.
- Initiates orders of materials upon request and maintains record of purchase orders, invoices and expenses.
- Prepares travel authorizations and expense claims and arranges travel and transportation for program staff.
- Makes and changes reservations, uploads invoices and vehicle information.
- Helps manage and provide support for Agile Fleet Commander.
- Assists with dispatching and radio communications.
- Answers phones and takes detailed messages in absence of department lead.
- Answers guest questions about venue and rental procedures.
- Schedules appointments for event committee meetings.
- Establishes and creates custom layouts for events.
- Prepares payroll documents for program staff.
- Receptionist and telephone etiquette techniques.
- Modern office terminology, procedures and equipment, including varied word and data processing software.
- Work without direct supervision.
- Communicate with tact and courtesy.
- Respond to routine and non-routine inquiries.
- Adapt to changing work demands.
- Work under varying degrees of stress, including regular interruptions from staff and members of the public.
Education and Experience
- Graduation from high school or demonstration of comparable basic skills and competency and at least 3 years of progressively responsible clerical and recordkeeping experience.
- Previous school site or education program experience desirable.
(Consideration will be given to reasonable accommodation for the following physical requirements.)
- Stand, sit and/or move about for sustained periods.
- Move about in non-traditional instructional environments, such as areas of the community.
- Daily oral and written communication.
- Speaking and hearing ability to sufficiently hear over the phone and carry on routine conversations and to address groups of varying sizes.
- Physical and emotional stamina to cope with sometimes stressful situations and conditions.
- Operating a computer, calculator, copier and other equipment that involves repetitive arm and hand movements.
- Hand-eye-arm and finger dexterity.
- Visual acuity sufficient to recognize people, words and numbers.
- Ability to work in collective and collaborative working environment in a shared office space.
- Work is performed in a busy, sometimes noisy, office environment.
- Positions in this classification work indoors and sit for long periods of time.
- The position requires daily oral communication in person and on the telephone, frequent use of email and messaging communication systems.
- Must be fingerprinted and a satisfactory Department of Justice records check must be received by HCOE prior to employment.
- TB testing and/or risk assessment will be required upon employment.
- Must pass a pre-employment physical (if applicable).
- May be required to obtain first aid and CPR certificates within the first 6 to 12 months of employment.
- May be required to drive with or without students; some positions may require a California driver’s license, proof of insurance and possible participation in the DMV PUll Notice Program once employed.
Classified | Range 6
Personnel Commission Approved 4/11/2023