Under the general direction of the Special Beginnings Principal, assists one or more teachers in the education of children within an early childhood classroom. Provides care and supervision of children in a preschool classroom. Maintains and prepares classroom environments and materials. Provides instructional assistance to individuals or small groups of children. The ECE Assistant I provides instructional assistance and daily living activities to children in preschool classrooms. The ECE Assistant I is the first and entry-level, requiring 3-6 semester units of early childhood Advancement potential exists to ECE Assistant II with the attainment of 9-semester units of early childhood education and the ability to assist with students who are eligible for special education services.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Assists an instructor to implement lesson plans by providing positive play-oriented learning experiences for children.
- Assists the instructor by maintaining classroom order by observing the activities and children. These activities may be in or out of the classroom setting.
- Observes, monitors, and provides proactive behavior directions to students.
- Participates in activities for preschool-aged children that involve interacting and playing with children.
- Gives each child individual and special attention each day. Responds to each child’s particular needs and characteristics. Ensures all children receive equal attention.
- Depending on age/development level, performs care-related duties such as preparing meals, eating family-style with children, and facilitating toilet training and rest periods with students.
- Sets up and arranges supplies and equipment in the classroom as directed.
- Prepares and washes eating utensils, cleaning supplies, eating and work surfaces, restrooms, and other areas in a manner that satisfies sanitation and safety requirements.
- Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.
Education, Experience, and Requirements
- Must possess the equivalent of a high school diploma, plus 3-6 units of early childhood education
- Must have concurrent experience working with preschool-aged children in a play-oriented learning or equivalent environment
- Pediatric First Aid and CPR Certificates are required within the first 90 days of employment
- Basic knowledge of principles and practices of age-appropriate early childhood development and guidance applicable for an educational setting.
- Basic knowledge of instruction methods for preschool-age children.
- Basic knowledge and skills using personal computers, recording information and sending communication.
- Sufficient human-relation skills to work productively and cooperatively with teachers, students, and parents in informal settings, and to demonstrate sensitivity to the needs of students.
- Sit, stand, and/or move about for extended periods.
- Actively engage in play activities with students.
- Visual acuity to read and write printed materials, computer screens, and observe student’s movement.
- Hearing and speech abilities for ordinary and telephonic conversations, and to speak to small groups of children.
- Sufficient manual and finger dexterity to point out important words/figures to students, and to operate personal computers.
- Ambulatory ability to move around the preschool classroom, playgrounds, and assist with play-oriented learning activities.
- Ability to lift children, carry, push, and move supplies/furniture/etc. of light-to-medium weight (under 40 lbs.) on an intermittent basis.
- Demonstrates competence in communicating effectively with children and parents, staff members, and representatives of other agencies.
- Ability to assist teaching staff with the implementation of play-oriented instructional goals and activities.
- Ability to respond to student needs with interventions or activities with individual students.
- Ability to conduct informal reading and project circles with students.
- May require knowledge and competency in a second language
- May require a valid driver’s license
Schedule Classified hourly, Range 30 | Reviewed: 09/20/2017 | Revised 4/25/20 jl