Under the supervision of the Director of Technology, and in coordination with the fiscal services department, is responsible for operations and procedures related to the financial system which serves the business, personnel, payroll, and related functions of the County Office of Education and participating school districts in Humboldt County. Additional duties include system maintenance, technical support and training, documentation of processes, and financial system troubleshooting.
Examples of Duties
Assumes lead responsibility in monitoring and tracking financial system software and hardware; performs system maintenance, including creating accounts, applying appropriate account security, archive files, backing up systems. Provides training and technical support to financial system users. Documents financial system procedures. Is the lead in working with vendors to troubleshoot financial system problems. Provides support for fiscal year setup and fiscal year rollover. Creates and facilitates user training as needed. Independently performs a variety of computer operations involved in processing, generating and printing checks, reports, documents and various other materials. Has final responsibility for the timely and accurate printing of payroll and accounts payable checks and the electronic transfer of funds to the bank. Operates mainframe, servers, and other specialized hardware, and arranges for maintenance and repairs as needed. Provides back-up help desk support to personnel concerning problems with hardware, software, networking and other related technologies; receive and respond to user telephone calls and emails; provide general computer setup and troubleshooting; determine type of request and provides appropriate solutions; other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Graduation from high school or comparable demonstration of basic competence, not less than one year of post- secondary course work in computer science or comparable field, five years of experience with increasing responsibility working with information and financial systems, and/or computer operations. Experience training users at an intermediate level highly desired.
- Public school business and information technology operations and practices;
- Complex computerized information systems and application;
- Problem research techniques;
- Office practices, methods and procedures.
- Prepare, process and verify alpha and numeric information rapidly and accurately at an acceptable standard of efficiency and to meet assigned timelines;
- Detect errors and inaccuracies in data
- Respond to inquiries of a technical nature and problem solve accordingly with a high degree of independence;
- Analyze and assess operational procedures;•Identify and resolve issues relating to operations and equipment;
- Take the lead on projects from conception through implementation;
- Present complex technical information to individuals, small and large groups effectively and with desired learning results;
- Provide training in group and individual settings;
- Perform software installation, training and/or customer support of programs;
- Read and comprehend technical texts, computer printouts, spreadsheets, texts, and manuals;
- Maintain the confidentiality of privileged information;
- Communicate effectively with tact and courtesy, both orally and in writing;
- Use specialized computer equipment, peripherals and software applications;
- Follow complex written and oral instructions;
- Adapt to changing work demands;
- Organize and prioritize work;
- Work under varying degree of stress;
- Perform work both individually and as a team member;
- Maintain and improve professional skills and knowledge.
Meet the physical requirements necessary to safely and effectively perform assigned duties, including:
- visual acuity sufficient to work at a computer screen frequently and throughout the day, near and far visual acuity, depth perception, color vision sufficient to recognize people, words, and numbers;
- frequent standing, and occasional bending, stooping,kneeling;
- occasional crawling in confined spaces in buildings;
- Lifting up to twenty-five (25) pounds on a regular basis, fifty (50) pounds on an occasional basis, and in excess of fifty (50) pounds with assistance. The heavy objects to be lifted include boxes of checks or paper, computers, printers, and related equipment;
- speaking and hearing ability sufficient to hear over phone and carry on routine conversations;
- see to read manuals, video display screens, and other related material;
- Sit for prolonged periods of time operating a computer.
This position may require travel to/from a primary worksite to select field locations. Therefore, a valid California Driver’s License or other acceptable arrangement for independent travel would be required. Please contact the Personnel Department or the Department Supervisor for details.
Range:45 | Personnel Commission approved 9/11/18
File: Financial Systems Operations Specialist