Under general supervision, to provide assistance and instruction to patrons to access Humboldt Educational Resource Center (HERC)instructional resources using library media information technologies and communications technologies; to maintain patron databases and other records and to prepare reports in coordination with the Library Systems Technician; to perform varied and increasingly responsible clerical work involving databases, spreadsheets, and word processing; to facilitate coordination of HCOE courier services; to facilitate visitor use of learning spaces; to maintain operation of HERC independently when other staff are absent, and to respond to patron inquiries and make appropriate referrals; to perform related work as required.
Examples of Duties
Performs reception functions to welcome and offer assistance to patrons of HERC; maintains and uses computer and Internet-based library media information technologies and communications technologies to assist contracting patrons to select, check out and utilize HERC resources and suggests resources if needed; circulates and re-shelves resources; assists Learning Resources Display Center (LRDC)Director with organization and maintenance of K-8 state adopted instructional materials; takes inventories, promotes an environment with positive, collaborative and cooperative relationships for staff and patrons, including communicating consistently with tact and courtesy from a customer service orientation; monitors and trains patrons to operate self-service workroom equipment such as laminators and die cutting machines; coordinates courier-related services; develops and composes routine communications and targeted marketing materials for print and/or Web distribution; provides clerical support for resource projects and professional learning offered through HERC; assists with HERC events, presentations, trainings and workshops; maintains operation of HERC independently when other staff are absent; assists other HERC staff as requested.
HERC employees must be available to work varied hours and days Monday through Saturday, depending on department needs.
Education and Experience
Graduation from high school or equivalent; two years of progressively responsible clerical experience or equivalent; one year experience in a library or school setting; familiarity with California Standards and frameworks highly desirable.
- Proper oral and written English usage;
- Modern office terminology and procedures;
- General office equipment, computer and web-based applications;
- Basic principles of library media center organization.
- Work under general and direct supervision;
- Establish and maintain positive, collaborative and cooperative working relationships with staff and patrons, including communicating consistently with tact and courtesy from a customer service orientation;
- Operate computerized library media catalog/circulation systems including input of data with a high level of accuracy and careful attention to detail;
- Instruct others in the use of computer and web-based technologies to access educational resources;
- Use standard library procedures to organize materials;
- Handle circulation problems, notifying Library Media Specialist when problem persists;
- Respond to routine inquiries and provide appropriate referrals;
- Prioritize tasks to meet deadlines and adapt to changing work demands;
- Compile reports requested by Library Media Specialist;
- Maintain confidentiality of work-related information;
- Lift and move materials weighing up to 50 pounds.
Range 28 | Personnel Commission Approved: May 17, 2016