Under the general direction of the North Coast Insurance Group and North Coast Medical Insurance Group (JPAs) Boards of Directors, with the HCOE Superintendent serving as the Administrative Unit, and in accordance with policies established by the JPA, plans, directs and manages all activities of the School Insurance Program JPAs, including administering the Worker’s Compensation, property and liability, employee health and welfare benefits, and employee and student safety programs.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities
Plans, develops and recommends policies, regulations, operational procedures related to medical, dental, vision, risk management and related insurance programs; drafts and recommends budgets related to JPA activities for the JPA Board consideration; serves as recording secretary to JPA boards; conducts studies or related research activities to ensure adherence to appropriate legal mandates, policies, and regulations for Affordable Care Act compliant health insurance programs and risk management; directs preparation of records and reports necessary to prepare experience-cost-analysis and safety loss prevention summaries for guidance of management; prepares and presents reports and information related to risk management, accident prevention, and district loss and claims experience; reviews and analyzes insurance costs, loss, claims experience, accident history, and makes recommendations for appropriate risk management programs and cost effective reduction through such actions as changing carriers, modifying bidding procedures, changing specifications, educational programs, safety committee activities, etc.; sets up and maintains appropriate data storage and retrieval systems for management of risk related information; provides counsel and advice to operational units concerning accident prevention, risk reduction, and loss control; may assist in investigation and risk management related to claims; participates in the investigation of incidents and coordinates the preparation of material and evidence for use in hearings, litigations and insurance claim cases; prepares contracts and agreements for programs; participates in the selection of and supervises and evaluates staff within department; recommends new procedures and changes in existing procedures governing the implementation and management of the department; manages assigned budget; serves as a member of Leadership Council; actively engages in an ongoing program of professional development to maintain and improve management skills and leadership abilities, and performs other duties as assigned.
Graduation from an accredited four year college or university with a degree in Public Administration, Business, or Education or equivalent advanced risk management/self insurance program experience, including Worker’s Compensation, property and liability, and/or employee health and welfare benefits. At least eight (8) years prior experience in an education, governmental, or insurance related business required, including successful management and supervisory experience.
- Principles of effective personnel supervision;
- Principles, trends, methods, and procedures pertaining to various insurance and risk management programs;
- Knowledge of sound fiscal management practices and terminology;
- Federal and State laws pertaining to Affordable Care Act program standards, work related injury or illness, and school district liability and safety (including Cal OSHA regulations);
- Typical educational organization policies, regulations and standards related to areas of responsibility;
- Employee health benefit programs, requirements and administration.
- Understand and accurately interpret laws, rules and regulations pertaining to all JPA-related programs and services;
- Analyze complex problems and develop effective and efficient alternative solutions;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other members of the JPA Board of Directors, member school districts; clients and department staff;
- Plan, organize and develop an effective risk management and loss prevention program;
- Effectively manage problems brought to attention by employees, employee representatives; insurance carrier representatives, district management personnel and the general public;
- Communicate effectively and work harmoniously with others;
- Prepare budget reports;
- Conduct studies, surveys and collect and analyze complex information;
- Prepare and write technical reports and communications;
- Work with and manage confidential information;
- Make verbal presentations requiring tact, persuasion and negotiation;
- Effectively supervise and evaluate other department staff and establish a positive work environment within department.
(Consideration will be given to reasonable accommodation for the following physical requirements.)
Sufficient vision to read printed materials; sufficient hearing to conduct in-person and telephone conversations; sufficient mobility to move about the county office and other sites as may be required; ability to speak in an understandable voice with sufficient volume to be heard in normal conversation distance, on the telephone, and to address groups of varying sizes; physical and emotional stamina to cope with sometimes stressful situations and conditions.
Individuals who serve as JPA Services Executive Director provide services in the office as well as in various sites throughout the County and state, sometimes serving multiple sites in a single workday. Public speaking skills, group problem solving and leadership ability, the ability to communicate effectively in writing and the capacity to maintain personal demeanor during periods of peak work flow and perform efficiently within restricted timeframes are critical factors for success in this position.
Individuals who serve as management personnel must be willing to modify days/hours and to work additional days/hours on occasion with appropriate compensation and be willing to travel using own transportation with mileage reimbursed, or county office fleet vehicle, as the job may require.
Schedule A/Class 11 | Reviewed: 09/29/17