Twelve month position reports to the Learning Support Services Department manager. Under minimal supervision by the Library Media Specialist, the Lead Library System Technician assists in the coordination of the Humboldt Educational Resource Center (HERC) tasks and programming; is responsible for the operation of the HERC when the Library Media Specialist is not present; demonstrates expertise and responsibility for all areas of library technical services including online catalog and subscription systems accounts management, processing, and circulation of materials; selects appropriate books and other instructional resources in response to requests of Learning Specialists and individual patrons; promotes an environment with positive, collaborative, and cooperative relationships for staff and for patrons demonstrated through consistent tact and courtesy from a customer service orientation; facilitates training and instruction to enable patrons and staff to maximize the use of HERC resources; provides leadership to HERC staff in the absence of the Library Media Specialist and department manager; provides lead support for HERC programming.
Duties do not include activities requiring possession of a valid California Library Media Services credential.
Examples of Duties
- Coordinate Courier route between driver and Districts;
- Maintain reservation calendar for HERC Learning Commons;
- Coordinate order fulfillment of Teacher Center;
- Be point of contact for copy machines (if need maintenance);
- Coordinate HERC-hosted events in partnership with Library Media Specialist;
- Coordinate Learning Resources Display Center (LRDC) reservations, assistance, and organization;
- Develop and document protocols and procedures for library operations;
- Assist in onboarding HERC classified staff;
- Coordinate with Information Technology Department for online services including online Teacher Center store;
- Periodic website review and recommendations for changes and additions to HERC page;
- Provide support with California County Educational Technology Consortium (CCETC) consortium membership duties;
- Act as Author Festival liaison
Education, Experience, and Requirements
- Must possess the equivalent of a high school diploma, AA degree or equivalent of two years of college;
- Three years of responsible clerical and computer experience including experience in a school or library setting;
- Experience using computer and web-based information technologies and communication technologies;
- Experience in acquisition and processing of library materials;
- Familiarity with California Standards and frameworks;
- Familiarity with children’s literature.
- Proper oral and written English usage;
- Library procedures, terminology and Dewey Decimal Classification system;
- Appropriate databases and software including Outlook, Word, Excel, and Google Suite applications;
- Computerized library media catalog/circulation systems.
- Work independently with minimal supervision;
- Supervise the work of others as requested;
- Maintain accurate records;
- Instruct others in the use of computer and web-based technologies to access educational resources;
- Compile reports requested by Library Media Specialist;
- Assist in the training of classified staff;
- Maintain confidentiality of work-related information;
- Adapt to changing work demands, adjust priorities and meet deadlines;
- Identify, troubleshoot and resolve problems;
- Update skills and learn new computer technology as needed;
- Set time-frames and manage priorities;
- Sit, stand, and/or move about for extended periods.
- Visual acuity to read and write printed materials and computer screens.
- Hearing and speech abilities for ordinary and telephonic conversations.
- Lift and move materials weighing up to 50 pounds.
HERC employees must be available to work varied hours and days, Monday through Saturday, depending upon department needs.
Schedule: Classified Hourly, Range 38