Under minimal supervision of the Library Media Specialist, to assist in the operation of the Humboldt Educational Resource Center(HERC); to be responsible for the operation of the HERC when the Library Media Specialist is not present; to have expertise in and primary responsibility for all areas of library technical services including online catalog and subscription systems accounts management, processing, circulation of materials; to select appropriate books and other instructional resources in response to requests of Learning Specialists and individual patrons; to promote an environment with positive, collaborative and cooperative relationships for staff and for patrons, including communicating consistently with tact and courtesy from a customer service orientation; facilitate training and instruction to enable patrons and staff to maximize the use of HERC resources;to maintain operation of HERC independently when other staff are absent;to perform related work as requested.
Services do not include activities requiring possession of a valid California Library Media Services credential.
Examples Of Duties
Uses current computer and internet-based library media information technologies to manage resources and assist patrons to select, check out and utilize all types of HERC resources and suggests alternatives; selects and circulates curriculum-related library materials requested by teachers by phone, fax, email and in person; assists in the training of classified staff;answers patron inquiries or makes appropriate referrals; prepares purchase requisitions, inventories, checks invoices and maintains related financial and other records and reports; processes, circulates and maintains classroom literature sets and book collections including e-books and e-resources; identifies types of resources needed for collection development to support California Standards and curriculum; recommends resources to delete from the collection; invoices for damaged and lost materials;provides support to Author Festival Committee and represents HCOE at planning meetings when requested.
HERC employees must be available to work varied hours and days, Monday through Saturday, depending upon department needs.
Education and Experience:
Graduation from high school or equivalent; AA degree or equivalent of two years of college;three years of responsible clerical and computer experience includingexperience in a school or library setting; experience using computer and web-based information technologies and communication technologies; experience in acquisition and processing of library materials; familiarity with California Standards and frameworks; and familiarity with children’s literature.
- Proper oral and written English usage;
- Library procedures, terminology and Dewey Decimal Classification system;
- Computer and web-based applications including word processing, spreadsheets and databases;
- Computerized library media catalog/circulation systems.
- Work under general supervision;
- Accurately key at an efficient rate;
- Establish and maintain positive, collaborative and cooperative working relationships with both staff and patrons, including communicating consistently with tact and courtesy from a customer service orientation;
- Operate computerized library media catalog/circulation systems, including input of data with a high level of accuracy and careful attention to detail;
- Instruct others in the use of computer and web-based technologies to access educational resources;
- Compile reports requested by Library Media Specialist
- Assist in the training, of classified staff;
- Maintain confidentiality of work-related information;
- Adapt to changing work demands, adjust priorities and meet deadlines;
- Lift and move materials weighing up to 50 pounds.
Level 33 | Personnel Commission Approved: May 17, 2016