Under general direction of the Coordinator of Personnel Services to perform complex and responsible technical duties in support of Humboldt County Office of Education’s (HCOE) budgeting process, position/position control,health and welfare benefits programs, workers compensation, employee leave program, flexible spending and pre-tax benefit account for HCOE employees and retirees; serve as an informational resource to District personnel; maintain related records.
Examples of Duties
- Performs complex and responsible technical and data management duties in support of employee position/position control, health and welfare benefits programs and services within the proprietary data system;
- Coordinates with department lead clerical in the preparation of new employee Position Control forms; inputs vacant positions in proprietary/personnel/budget/payroll system;
- Receives new HCOE employment paperwork in order to input/attach new employee in payroll/budget system and begin construction for the personnel file,determines eligibility for new and continuing benefit program participants including employees, retirees, COBRA qualifiers and eligible dependents based on department policies and State laws;
- Serves as an informational resource to HCOE personnel regarding Workers’ Compensation and employee benefits;
- Responds to inquiries and provide information concerning benefits coverage, changes, policies and timelines;
- Receives, processes, reviews for accuracy and evaluates employee enrollment and a variety of other forms and applications;
- Explains and assists employees with completing enrollment forms; establishes and maintains employee records and files
- Prepares, processes and files occupational injury reports and Workers’ Compensation claims as required;
- Prepares and verifies employee information, job duty summaries to third party administrators; assists in monitoring status of injured workers and Workers’ Compensation claims;
- Requests and provides information concerning employee work and health status;
- Receives and processes employee leaves according to law;assists payroll personnel with coordinating fringe and leave benefits;
- Assists in organizing return-to-work arrangements for injured employees; inputs a variety of employee benefits-related data into an proprietary computer system;
- Calculates and reports HCOE certificated/classified professional growth submissions;
- Maintains HCOE certificated/classified seniority list;
- Assigns and monitors mandated trainings;
- Prepares reports for the Employment Development Department (EDD)and Worker’s Compensation;
- Maintains database on employee evaluations and communicates with Managers; •Gathers new employee information for the purpose of introduction in organization newsletter;
- Establishes and maintains automated records; initiates queries, extracts data and generates a variety of computerized lists and reports;
- Verifies accuracy of input and output data;
- Operates a variety of office equipment;
- Attends and participates in a variety of special events related to assigned activities such as training workshops including conducting training as assigned;
- Schedules and arranges for workshops and other special events as directed;
- Conducts special surveys as requested;
- Other related duties as assigned.
- General employee benefits and insurance programs and procedures.
- Workers’ Compensation reporting requirements.
- Applicable regulations, policies and procedures.
- Practices, procedures, techniques, forms and applications involved in enrolling employees in benefits programs.
- Policies and objectives of assigned programs and activities.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Record-keeping and report preparation techniques.
- Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Operation of a computer and assigned software.
- Technical aspects of field of specialty.
- Basic arithmetic.
- Perform complex and responsible technical, financial and data management duties in support of employee health and welfare benefits programs, position/position control and services for HCOE employees and retirees.
- Serves as an informational resource to HCOE personnel concerning benefits programs and services.
- Interpret, apply and explain policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Maintain accurate and semi-complex records and files.
- Compile and verify data and prepare reports.
- Operate standard office equipment including a computer and assigned software.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Work independently with little direction.
- Adapt to changing work demands and interruptions.
- Make arithmetical calculations with speed and accuracy.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Working word processing skills, such as the ability to format, save files for cross-platform use and in different versions, work with toolbars, menus, rulers, insert graphics, use borders and print labels.
- Working database skills, such as the ability to sort and retrieve records, create layouts and reports, create mail merge for form letters, add, edit, delete fields and records.
- Working spreadsheet skills, including the ability to open, modify, format, save and print a new or existing spreadsheet and enter text and numbers.
- Working e-mail skills.
- Work indoors and sit for long periods of time.
- Daily oral and written communication.
- Speaking and hearing ability to sufficiently hear over the phone and carry on routine conversations.
- Operating a computer, calculator, copier and other equipment that involves repetitive arm and hand movements.
- Hand-eye-arm and finger dexterity.
- Ability to distinguish between colors.
- Visual acuity sufficient to recognize people, words and numbers.
- Reaching and lifting up to forty (40) pounds.
Education, Experience and Requirements:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Demonstrated completion of at least two (2) years of college, A bachelor’s degree preferred. Additional equivalent experience may be substituted for college education year for year.
- At least three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in personnel and technical data maintenance and administrative support.•Experience preferably in an educational setting.
- Training experience highly desirable.
- Must be fingerprinted with a satisfactory DOJ records check.
- TB testing will be required upon employment.
- Must have normal vision, corrected or uncorrected.
- May be required to obtain first aid and CPR certificates within first 6 months of employment.
- May be required to drive for work. Must have a current CA driver’s license, and proof of insurance.
Range 42 | Personnel Commission Revised:12/11/18