Under general supervision of the department director, to perform a variety of complex and responsible duties including the production of information for various legal reports, the development and monitoring of complex budgets, and the preparation and maintenance of official records. The Principal Account Technician II -Division will provide technical support and training to program fiscal support staff; and to do related work as assigned and/or required.
Examples of Duties
Assumes the lead responsibility for a complex accounting of the department budgets; gathers, audits, posts, reconciles and proofreads accounting, statistical, or financial reports and data; performs auditing functions over department accounting information; maintains and develops files and procedures, audits documents, records, worksheets and reports; reviews transactions for compliance with state accounting rules, as well as legal requirements; reconciles program cash accounts; performs year-end closing functions; prepares complex monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual reports; provides guidance, training and technical support to program fiscal support staff; provides information to, and seeks information from, other county office employees, program personnel, auditors, state, federal and county representatives, vendors, and the public; utilizes a variety of technologies and may be required to develop customized spreadsheets using proprietary or public domain accounting software; assists in design, maintenance and implementation of accounting software for the purpose of meeting program needs.
Education and Experience
Graduation from high school or demonstration of comparable basic skills competence, and three years of post-secondary education including course work in accounting procedures and/or practices and not less than five years of experience in fiscal record preparation and maintenance, including two years of advanced-level accounting and record keeping.Consideration will be given to those with additional school district finance experience as a substitute for the higher education coursework.
- Generally accepted accounting principles and practices, including fund accounting;
- Preparation comprehensive accounting reports;
- Laws and regulations pertaining to specific duties;
- The methods, practices and terminology used in manual, semi-automated, and automated fiscal record keeping or bookkeeping;
- Accounting software and various technologies;
- Proper supervision and/or training techniques;
- Office practices, methods and procedures.
- Prepare, process and verify one’s own and others’ alpha and numeric information rapidly and accurately at an acceptable standard of efficiency and to meet assigned timelines;
- Analyze information and statistics and prepare reports, specifications, and correspondence;
- Make recommendations regarding improved department policies and procedures, including training programs and technologies;
- Audit the record keeping work prepared by other school personnel;
- Follow written and oral instructions;
- Work independently with little direction;
- Prepare, organize and maintain records and files;
- Present complex technical information to individuals, small and large groups effectively and with desired learning results;
- Professionally represent the office to agencies as necessary;
- Adjust to changing work demands, including, but not limited to: changes in procedures, technologies and fluctuations in work flow.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing and one-on-one in large group settings;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships;
- Read well enough to read fine print;
- Communicate effectively via telephone, in person and virtually;
- Have enough strength to periodically handle bulky and heavy files.
Note: The Principal Account Technician II-Division position may require that individuals travel to/from a primary worksite to select field locations. Therefore, a valid California Driver’s License or other acceptable arrangement for independent travel would be required. Please contact the Personnel Department or the Department Supervisor for details.
Range 45 | Personnel Commission Approved: July 1, 2014
Job Desc/Principal Acct Tech II-Division