Under the general direction of the Communications Director, operate and maintain high speed digital copiers and various equipment in the production and reproduction of a wide variety of materials involving both basic and sophisticated printing procedures; responsible for accurate and timely completion of projects and the safe and proper operation of the equipment; assists with communication efforts to support and collaborate on key HCOE initiatives and priorities including but not limited to graphic design, multi-media, and digital communications; may perform courier service during summer months to sites off campus; maintains records in maintenance and supply inventory control.
Primary duties include: Sets and operates all equipment for printing a variety of jobs; operates equipment of varied technical levels; keeps an inventory of inks, collating supplies, paper and other supplies. Other duties include:providing digital communication and assists in supporting and preparing a variety of marketing collateral, media, and web content to support HCOE programs and districts; designs and creates electronic logos, marks and other images; supports media and graphic department staff in the planning, organizing and collaborating on the development of video and multi-media productions; supports the development of social media outreach among HCOE programs and districts; troubleshoots technical problems and provides recommendations for maintenance and improvement; downloads software updates and performs routine maintenance on in-house computers as needed;interfaces with the work order system dashboard and routinely updates status for jobs in queue; may assist in the categorization of web content to ensure data is organized in a user-friendly manner; proofreads and edits all design work; assures adequate supplies for printing needs; follows brand and style guidelines; keeps current on industry trends; maintains the highest customer service standards at all times; assists with other communications operations as needed. The Printing and Communications Technician must be available to work varied hours and days, Monday through Saturday, depending upon department needs.
- Graduation from high school or equivalent level of basic competence;
- College course work in communications, graphic design, or closely related field and/or two years of progressively responsible experience demonstrating the knowledge, skills, and abilities detailed above or a combination of education and experience similar to the above to demonstrate thorough preparation to perform required duties;
- Experience with web-based content management systems, graphic design programs, and strong written language skills highly preferred.
- Possession of a driver’s license or other acceptable demonstration of ability to be mobile and to attend a variety of community events and perform courier service, as needed.
- Methods, practices, terminology, equipment and procedures used in the production of printed and graphic materials
- Macintosh computer systems;
- Computer and graphics software applications such as Illustrator, Photoshop, WordPress and InDesign;
- Operation of high speed copiers, printing and related equipment;
- Basic single-color and multi-color printing operations;
- Copyright rules, regulations and restrictions;
- Oral and written communication skills;
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling punctuation and vocabulary;
- Technical aspects of field of specialty
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing;
- Demonstrate high levels of customer service and accountability;
- Perform a variety of technical duties involved in the design, typesetting and production of printed materials and related graphic arts;
- Support and maintain project timelines
- Operate high-speed digital reprographic and peripheral equipment in the reproduction of various materials as necessary;
- Arrange, layout and design effective use of visual materials;
- Maintain positive attitude while working on short, multiple deadlines;
- Produce clearly written, succinct materials;
- Work effectively independently and as part of a team with minimal supervision;
- Organize and prioritize work;
- Exercise appropriate judgment in decision making;
- Maintain confidentiality of information;
- Complete routine tasks thoroughly, accurately and with attention to detail;
- Demonstrate mature judgment, flexibility and diplomacy;
- Support the work of other team members to produce timely, desired, products and services;
- Provide training and best practice to customers as needed.
Safety and Environmental Considerations for Position
- Handle various chemicals such as rubber cement, correction fluid, Photomount, deglazer, etc., which can be hazardous if ingested, inhaled, or otherwise handled in an unprofessional manner;
- Work with sharp instruments (cutting blade, scissors, paper cutter, etc.);
- Lean or stand for periods of time;
- Sit on elevated chairs with wheels and having to maneuver on them;
- Work in high-production/pressure environment with constant interruptions;
- Lift binders, supplies, paper boxes, etc., occasionally in excess of 50 pounds;
- Work around equipment with numerous moving parts, rollers and noise; i.e., collator and presses;
- Be very agile (ability to stand, sit, climb ladders, stoop, etc.) with a high degree of confidence and speed.
Range 37 | Personnel Commission Approved:4/11/2017