Under general supervision of the department manager, to be primarily responsible for the acquisition of office wide supplies and equipment, oversee disbursement thereof and monitor capital assets inventory of the Humboldt County Office of Education; to provide technical advice to departments; to assist districts in cooperative buying activities; and to do related work as required.
Examples of Duties
- Receives and reviews purchase requests and prepares purchase orders for all departments within HCOE
- Serves as liaison with vendors and suppliers.
- Facilitates cooperative buying activities internally and with local districts.
- Prepares bid specifications and contracts and coordinates bid proceedings.
- Develops the system for and maintains capital assets inventory; supervises central store activity; conducts in person and online investigation of products and materials.
- Investigates procurement complaints; evaluates various office functions and equipment and makes recommendations related to cost savings; supervises repair contract work.
- Prepares and maintains the written administrative procedures involving contracted services, contracts, bids, and purchase orders.
Education and Experience
Graduation from high school or comparable demonstration of basic competence and five years of lead experience in the purchase of materials, equipment and/or supplies, capital assets inventory and/or stores inventory and related activities, or a combination of college-level education and experience.
- The principle and practices and legal parameters of public funds purchasing;
- The methods and procedures related to competitive bidding;
- Current market conditions and prices of various types of equipment and supplies and sources of supplies;
- Word processing and data retrieval systems;
- Web-based procurement processes and resources;
- Knowledge of hazardous materials and their handling;
- Telecommunications marketing;
- Electronic spreadsheets.
- Analyze requisitions and bids and prepare specifications;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others;
- Prepare reports and correspondence;
- Lead the work of assigned department’s personnel;
- Train other school personnel in purchase order preparation and inventory maintenance;
- Negotiate prices for improved cost effectiveness;
- Problem solve effectively with vendors and service providers;
- Use computers and the Internet to seek and analyze information, process communications, enter data, etc.;
- Key accurately and with proficiency;
- Read and comprehend fine print, such as contracts, spreadsheets, catalogs, and brochures and to draft language as necessary;
- Communicate effectively via telephone, computer modem, and in person
Note: This position requires that the individual travel to/from a primary worksite to select field locations on a regular, often daily, basis. Therefore, a valid California license or other acceptable arrangement for independent travel would be required. Please contact the Personnel Department or the Department Supervisor for details.
Range 42 | Personnel Commission Approved: 04/10/01
4/6/01 | sg