Under general supervision, of the SELPA Director, to perform varied complex secretary duties requiring diligent exercise of judgment and initiative and also serves as backup receptionist for department.
Examples of Duties
Greets and serves a variety of individuals on a daily basis, both professional educators and representatives of the general public. Serves as executive secretary for the SELPA and is called upon to initiate correspondence from the Director. Schedules all SELPA meetings, prepares agendas and packets for meetings, takes minutes and transcribes, initiates follow-up correspondence when necessary. Conducts continuing correspondence independently on procedural or informational matters; prepares and maintains SELPA forms, schedules, official permanent records, student and program confidential files and reports according to program requirements; maintains data for Due Process/complaint filings; collects data and prepares reports for the state such as annual budget service plans, personnel reports, etc.; processes payroll for all SELPA staff; processes travel; coordinates the work of other office staff when assigned; performs more complex work at a high level of quality and accuracy, including the preparation of legal documents/reports.
Education and Experience
Graduation from high school or comparable demonstration of basic competence and not less than four years of progressively responsible secretarial experience. Experience in an education setting is desired, but not required.
- Modern office terminology, procedures/equipment;
- Educational organization, policies and procedures;
- Office practices and procedures;
- Proper English usage, grammar, spelling, vocabulary and punctuation;
- Organization of files and records;
- Office management software programs, e.g. Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Take dictation at a speed of 100 words per minute, and transcribe accurately;
- Work independently;
- Understand and comply with District, County, State and Federal procedures, policies and statutes;
- Maintain high degree of confidentiality;
- Accurately type 60 words per minute and enter data with accuracy;
- Communicate with tact and courtesy;
- Respond to routine inquiries;
- Follow oral and written directions;
- Operate modern office equipment, including computers;
- Adapt to changing work demands;
- Manage task priorities to meet deadlines;
- Work under varying degrees of stress;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of individuals and groups;
- Read and comprehend fine print, such as contracts, spreadsheets and texts;
- Communicate effectively via telephone,computer modem and in person.
Range 40 | Personnel Commission Approved:08/09/05
G:Job Desc/SELPA Secretary