The Adapted Physical Education Teacher shall report directly to the designated program administrator and assume responsibility for planning, directing and implementing a program of specialized instruction in motor development training for children with various handicapping conditions. The Adapted Physical Education Teacher provides consultation to staff and parents as well as conducting individualized and small group instruction as may be specified in each child’s IEP.
Examples of Duties
- Assists the IEP team with student assessment, individualized instructional plan design, implementation and progress monitoring for each student.
- Assesses student’s school and medical history in relation to present motor functioning and develops recommendations for services based upon interpretation of findings.
- Provides individualized and/or small group instruction as outlined in a student’s IEP.
- Assists classroom and/or special education teachers develop goals, objectives and enrichment activities pertaining to student motor development.
- Serves as a resource person to other instructional staff who are providing physical education to students not eligible for Adapted Physical Education.
- Works closely with parents, teachers, school nurses, administration, physicians, therapists and other agency personnel in processing students in and out of Adapted Physical Education program.
- Coordinates the delivery of student services of paraprofessionals and volunteers as appropriate.
- Designs, implements, monitors and reviews as needed appropriate IEP’s for students, and records pupil progress in an accurate and timely manner.
- Establishes and maintains comprehensive student/program files as required.
- Provides a positive learning environment that stimulates student learning and maintenance skills.
- Supports the policies and programs of the Humboldt County Office of Education and performs assigned duties consistent with school, district or office policies, regulations and procedures.
- Maintains professional competency by actively engaging in employer directed inservice activities and other similar opportunities provided to staff.
- Cooperatively engages in the professional evaluation process with supervisor to ensure ongoing professional growth and competence.
- Effectively communicates with staff, parents and agencies.
- Attends regular and special staff meetings and actively participates as a member of the educational team.
- Responds effectively to the input from and coordinates tasks with district/school personnel as required by assignment.
- Performs other related duties.
- Possess and maintain valid California Adapted Physical Education Specialist certificate and credential to teach individuals with exceptional needs.
- Demonstrate competence in communicating effectively with children and parents, staff members and representatives of other agencies.
- Possess specialized skills, experience and training in programs that address both fine and gross motor development.
- Stand, sit and/or move about for sustained periods.
- Move about in non-traditional instructional environments; i.e., areas of the community.
- Report to multiple worksites in a given day or during the work week.
- Communicate effectively in-person and via telephone and other electronic media to individuals and groups of varying sizes.
- Exercise physical control over students who are acting out and/or offer physical assistance to students who might be themselves physically impaired.
- Conduct instructional programs within pre-designated break periods and time schedules.
- Maintain an appropriate personal demeanor during periods of heightened stress created by outside factors not always within the ability of the teacher to control at the time.
The Humboldt County Office of Education is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity. Consistent with that philosophy is the receptivity to consider requests to modify the traditional modes of delivering instructional services to reasonably accommodate an individual’s disabilities as long as the quality of the program offered remains consistent with the standards established by the office. For further information concerning the specific requirements of any particular assignment, please contact the Personnel Office.
10/21/92:gj | Retyped 01/27/06:sg