Under general supervision of the Special Education program/department manager, to perform varied and increasingly responsible clerical work involving proficiency in telephone use, typing and data entry,call for substitute teachers and substitute aides,supports Speech and Language Pathologists with material development, equipment and clerical duties,and to do related work as required.
Examples of Duties
Maintains accurate substitute teacher and substitute aide lists using computer database spreadsheet program(i.e., EXCEL);calls substitute teachers and aides to arrange schedules;properly relay substitute information to appropriate individuals;classifies and posts information; does filing and searching; answers inquiries or refers to the proper official; performs on occasion receptionist duties including the operation of multi-line telephone equipment; greets visitors and the general public; assists office personnel with special projects as needed, attends staff and other meetings as required.Prepares speech and language materials and curriculum under the direction of the Speech Language Pathologists (SLP); performs clerical and other supportive duties for SLPs as needed; maintains needed equipment, supplies and materials for SLPs; assists teachers and SLPs with compiling materials and laminating projects.
Education and Experience
Graduation from high school or demonstration of comparable basic skills competence and two years of progressively responsible clerical experience.
- Modern office terminology, procedures and equipment;
- School operations;
- Proper preparation of classroom support materials i.e. testing materials (CAPA, DRDP);
- Organization of files and substitute records.
- Accurately key 50 words per minute;
- Communicate with tact and courtesy;
- Respond to routine inquiries;
- Use proper English in filing and indexing and other identifying tasks;
- Use proper English with correct spelling and punctuation;
- Follow oral and written directions;
- Operate modern office equipment;including computers and digital cameras;
- Ability to use computer database spreadsheets and calendaring programs (ie, Excel and Microsoft Outlook);
- Adapt to changing work demands;
- Manage task priorities to meet deadlines;
- Work under varying degrees of stress;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of individuals and groups;
- Read and comprehend fine print such as contracts, spreadsheets and texts;
- Communicate effectively via telephone, computer modem and in person;
- Lift/move materials weighing up to 50 pounds.
(Consideration will be given to requests for reasonable accommodation for the physical requirements).
Personnel Commission Approved: August 21, 2007Range 27G:Job Desc/GPSInstructional Clerk 2007