Under the general direction of the Communications Director, to support the planning, organizing and implementation of a highly visible and proactive program of communications extending to all HCOE programs and supported districts; to provide graphic design, web design, photography, multi-media, planning materials, and collaboration on key HCOE initiatives and priorities; to assist the Director in coordinating the work of other department staff; to perform related work as required.
Examples of Duties
Collaborates effectively with departments and outside clients to understand the goals and objectives of a project; provides graphic design and prepares a variety of marketing collateral, media, and Web content to support HCOE programs and districts; designs and creates electronic logos, marks and other images; plans, organizes and collaborates on the development of video and multi-media productions; supports the development of social media outreach among HCOE programs and districts; troubleshoots technical problems and provides recommendations for maintenance and improvement; downloads software updates and performs routine maintenance on in-house computers; sets up video conferencing, teleconferencing and/or other multi-media needs; collaborates with HCOE technology staff and other departments to enhance and improve services and determine media needs; assists in the categorization of Web content to ensure data is organized in a user-friendly manner; proofreads and edits all design work and Web content; contacts vendors and suppliers to order paper stock, special items and other materials; assures adequate supplies for printing needs; follows brand and style guidelines, ADA compliance issues, copyright regulations and other policy or legal considerations; keeps current on industry trends; maintains the highest customer service standards at all times; assists in the work coordination of other department personnel.
The Graphics and Communications Specialist must be available to work varied hours and days, Monday through Saturday, depending upon department needs.
Employment Standards, Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in communications, graphic design, marketing or closely related field and two years progressively responsible experience demonstrating the knowledge, skills and abilities detailed above or a combination of education and experience similar to the above to demonstrate thorough preparation to perform required duties;
- Experience with video and teleconferencing setup and troubleshooting;
- Possession of a driver’s license or other acceptable demonstration of ability to be mobile and to attend a variety of community events.
- Basic MYSQL database commands and PHP and HTML or comparable language;
- Methods, practices, terminology, equipment and procedures used in the production of printed and graphic materials and Web publishing;
- Macintosh computer systems;
- Computer and graphics software applications such as Illustrator, Photoshop, WordPress and InDesign;
- Operation of printing and related equipment;
- Basic single-color and multi-color printing operations;
- Copyright rules, regulations and restrictions;
- Oral and written communication skills;
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling punctuation and vocabulary;
- Technical aspects of field of specialty.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing;
- Demonstrate high levels of customer service and accountability;
- Perform a variety of technical duties involved in the design, typesetting and production of printed materials and related graphic arts;
- Establish project timelines and calculate costs, materials and personnel requirements;
- Operate high-speed digital reprographic and peripheral equipment in the reproduction of various materials as necessary;
- Arrange, layout and design effective use of visual materials;
- Maintain positive attitude while working on short, multiple deadlines;
- Produce clearly written, succinct materials;
- Work effectively independently and as part of a team with minimal supervision;
- Organize and prioritize work;
- Exercise appropriate judgment in decision making;
- Maintain confidentiality of information;
- Complete routine tasks thoroughly, accurately and with attention to detail;
- Demonstrate mature judgment, flexibility and diplomacy;
- Coordinate the work of other team members to produce timely, desired, products and services;
- Provide training to online users in use and maintenance of Web pages.
Safety and Environmental Considerations for Position
- Handle various chemicals such as rubber cement, correction fluid, Photomount, deglazer, etc., which can be hazardous if ingested, inhaled, or otherwise handled in an unprofessional manner;
- Work with sharp instruments (cutting blade, scissors, paper cutter, etc.);
- Lean or stand for periods of time;
- Sit on elevated chairs with wheels and having to maneuver on them;
- Work in high-production/pressure environment with constant interruptions;
- Lift binders, supplies, paper boxes, etc., occasionally in excess of 50 pounds;
- Work around equipment with numerous moving parts, rollers and noise; i.e., collator and presses;
- Be very agile (ability to stand, sit, climb ladders, stoop, etc.) with a high degree of confidence and speed.
Range 47 | Personnel Commission Approved: June 14, 2016