Under the supervision of the Director of Personnel, the Human Resources Data Technician is responsible for coordinating, planning, and implementing the county office and school districts’ ESCAPE/Human Resources data and document management program and ensuring the safety and security of the stored data and records. This includes assisting, diagnosing and researching solutions, assisting with documentation and training on all areas of the ESCAPE system, providing information to others, and maintaining the system and services within established guidelines and standards.
The Data Technician requires specialized and highly-developed computer/data entry skills enhanced by the knowledge of the terminology, practices and policies of the Human Resource Department. The position also requires a working knowledge of research and reporting formats for accreditation, and the ability to exercise considerable independent judgment, discretion and initiative in order to respond appropriately to typical county and school office situations. This job is distinguished by its administrative support expertise in data systems and reporting. Activities may include, but are not limited to, site and administrative support, systems development and records maintenance. Requires ability to design and implement office information systems and the ability to exercise functional leadership over other clerical staff and work processes, file and record administration and data storage and retrieval.
Supervision Exercised and Received
Employees in this job classification receive general supervision within a framework of standard policies and procedures.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provides administrative support involving the use of independent judgment and an in-depth understanding of the functions and procedures of the ESCAPE program with a working understanding of functions and procedures of other HCOE departments/divisions and school districts.
- Analyzes system user concerns, requirements and requests for system features and uses for the purpose of identifying and making recommendations regarding modifications and enhancements to existing systems.
- Organizes project timelines and communicates task deadlines to project participants for the purpose of ensuring project goals and timelines are being met as required.
- Assesses user requests within the ESCAPE application for the purpose of documenting, resolving and following up on technology problems and malfunctions as a first-level help desk software support.
- Assists with the installation of financial application and document management system for the purpose of addressing organizational needs and providing operational capabilities to users.
- Coordinates software application updates with software vendor for the purpose of testing new or modified functionalities and communicating resulting needed procedural changes.
- Communicates effectively, both orally and in writing, to an audience of users and vendor customer support for the purpose of establishing and maintaining cooperative and effective working relationships.
- Inputs financial and statistical data for the purpose of generating a variety of computerized reports and documents and assuring accuracy of input and output data.
- Prepares and maintains manual and electronic documents, files and records for the purpose of providing up-to-date reference and audit trail.
- Provides training program and supporting materials when needed (e.g., program descriptions, procedural manuals, user documentation, etc.) for the purpose of enhancing productivity of staff and achieving department objectives; travel to districts for training users may be required.
- Serves as liaison between system users and other supporting staff for the purpose of providing technical information and/or advice regarding system applications, changes, communications and other system operation issues.
- Sets up and maintains business services financial application and document management system users, website, email groups and related securities for the purpose of ensuring their ability to use new and/or existing software in compliance with established policies and procedures.
- Supports other assigned staff with guidance as needed for operation functions and special projects within the business services department.
- Troubleshoots software issues affecting system users for the purpose of providing immediate assistance to users or assigning issues to functional experts and/or software vendor customer support.
- Participates in meetings, workshops, trainings and seminars for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform functions.
- Requires in-depth knowledge of Human Resources data and document management, including ESCAPE Financial and Employee Management System.
- Requires thorough knowledge of clerical practices, specialized office procedures, filing, recordkeeping, receptionist and telephone techniques and etiquette.
- Requires considerable knowledge of departmental procedures and standing instructions related to work performed.
- Working knowledge of advanced software applications including word processing, relational databases in general, spreadsheets and HR information system software as evidence by the ability to develop and arrange query fields.
- Working knowledge of financial systems, including ESCAPE.
- Requires math skills sufficient to compute sums, quotients, fractions, percentages and ratios.
- Requires sufficient human relations skills to communicate technical concepts to others and convey a positive, service-oriented image of the department.
- Perform all of the relevant duties of the position efficiently and effectively with only general supervision.
- Interpret, explain and apply knowledge of the program operations, functions and special department terminology.
- Operate a personal computer terminal, printers and specialized office productivity and database software.
- Maintain confidential and sensitive information.
- Prioritize work in order to meet deadlines and maintain schedules.
- Work effectively as part of a team devoted to customer service.
- Intermediate internet usage including the ability to use conduct an internet search, bookmark a site, download a file, print out web pages, copy text, edit bookmarks, print web pages and observe copyright regulations.
- Advanced/intermediate word processing skills, such as the ability to format sections, multiple headers/footers, set tabs with leaders and indents, format text into columns and create and format tables and forms, insert watermarks and word art, create templates and use merge functions.
- Advanced database skills, such as the ability to sort and retrieve records, create layouts and reports, create and print mailing labels, perform mail merge for form letters, add, edit, delete fields and records, and work with relational databases to create reports and lists.
- Advanced email skills including the ability to edit preferences, customize toolbar, create folders, automatic reply and forward.
- Highly advanced spreadsheet skills, including the ability to insert formulas and mathematical calculations and work with functions, create workbooks and use multiple worksheets, format and print worksheets, sort lists and create graphs and charts.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job
- The position requires ordinary ambulatory ability to retrieve work materials, intermittent walking, standing, stooping and carrying and lifting of lightweight materials (under 20 lb).
- Requires visual acuity sufficient to recognize people, words and numbers.
- Requires hand-eye-arm-finger dexterity to use a personal computer keyboard, ten-key and other common office equipment.
Working Conditions/Work Environment
- Work is performed in an office environment with minimal exposure to health and safety considerations.
Education and Experience
Any combination of education and experience that would provide the knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- Requires a high school diploma or equivalent; training in recordkeeping, relational databases, basic accounting techniques and spreadsheets.
- Requires three years of increasingly responsible clerical experience, preferably in an educational environment.
- Experience or training in databases and information systems.
- Must be fingerprinted and a satisfactory Department of Justice records check must be received by HCOE prior to employment.
- TB testing will be required upon employment.
- Must pass a pre-employment physical (if applicable).
- Must have normal vision, corrected or uncorrected.
- May be required to obtain first aid and CPR certificates within the first 6 to 12 months of employment.
- May be required to drive with or without students; some positions may required a current California driver’s license, proof of insurance and possible participation in the DMV Pull Notice Program once employed.
Classified Hourly | Range 12