Under the general direction of the Superintendent, the Managing Director of the Rising Stars Foundation coordinates annual foundation events and volunteers; serves as primary contact for foundation development; insures positive media promotion for foundation activities;develops and manages foundation resources in accordance with office of education policies and procedures; supervises assigned department staff;and does related work as required.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities
Plans, calendars, supervises and evaluates the various activities sponsored by the Rising Stars Foundation; coordinates the work of paid staff and volunteers to successfully conduct events and activities; assists in planning the strategic growth of the foundation; takes the lead in growing a sustainable, diversified local funding base that will include gifts from individuals, corporations and other foundations; establishes annual fundraising goals and creates one-time and/or ongoing fundraising activities to support the foundation; in coordination with the Executive Assistant to the Superintendent,promotes the work of the foundation to the public through written press releases; drafts annual report of foundation accomplishments; conducts speaking engagements and community promotions; leads or assists in obtaining funding to support other office of education priorities such as the program elements within the Decade of Difference Initiative; develops grant proposals individually or as a member of a team; supports the work of the foundation advisory board;evaluates assigned staff; works collaboratively with school districts, local business, industry, financial institutions and community-based agencies serving youth and families.
Education and Experience
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a degree in business administration, public relations, marketing or related field; substantial experience in public service, such as government or education,foundations, financial services,and/or not-for-profit community agency service;supervision and/or program coordination experience also required.
- Sound financial management principles;
- Effective marketing strategies;
- Laws related to bequeaths, gifts, and managing donor files;
- Not-for-profit and/or public governing board operations;
- Team building strategies;
- Community needs and characteristics;
- Local educational systems and programs.
- Manage multiple priorities;
- Build critical relationships with community members, agency representatives, school staffs and other HCOE department personnel;
- Develop sophisticated grant proposals, marketing plans, publicity and promotional materials;
- Positively recruit, motivate, and coordinate a strong volunteer cadre;
- Effectively supervise and evaluate program staff and to create a positive climate;
- Conduct comprehensive needs assessment and program evaluations;
- Make public presentations to small and large groups;
- Work effectively as a member of the management team in carrying out the mission of the county office of education;
- Develop and manage a budget within office policies;
- Manage data;
- Understand the value of technology in the promotion of the foundation and make effective use of a wide variety of appropriate technologies including social media and website presence;
- Perform job responsibilities with a high level of personal responsibility, optimism, and entrepreneurialism.
Individuals who serve as Managing Director for the Rising Stars Foundation provide services in the office, as well as in various sites throughout the county, sometimes serving multiple sites in a single workday. Public speaking skills, group problem solving and leadership ability, the ability to communicate effectively in writing,the capacity to maintain personal demeanor during periods of peak work flow,and perform efficiently within restricted time frames are critical factors for success in this position.
Individuals who serve as certificated or classified management personnel must be willing to modify days/hours and to work additional days/hours on occasion with appropriate compensation and be willing to travel using own transportation with mileage reimbursed, or county office fleet vehicle, as the job may require.
Class: 4 -Management Schedule A