Under minimum supervision of the department/program manager, to perform varied and responsible clerical work involving a high degree of proficiency in typing and data entry and to do related work as required.
Examples of Duties
Types reports,correspondence, vouchers, receipts, schedules, minutes, requisitions, notices and statistical data; computes, checks, tabulates and balances statistical and financial data; classifies and posts information; does filing and searching; stores and issues supplies; answers inquiries or refers to the proper official; makes appointments and travel arrangements; audits and prepares purchase orders and requisitions; compiles figures on expenditures; maintains inventory records; types technical narratives, charts and tables; maintains files and recommends changes in filing systems; performs receptionist duties including the operation of multi-line telephone equipment; greets visitors and the general public; gathers information on a variety of subjects and compiles program project, financial, statistical activity and legal reports; composes non-routine correspondence and serves as a lead clerical position within department or program assigned.
Education and Experience
Graduation from high school or demonstration of comparable basic skills competence and three years of increasingly responsible and varied clerical and word processing experience.
- Varied computer software including word processing, spreadsheets, database management and office graphics programs;
- Moderately complex computer systems and operations.
- Accurately type no less than 60 words per minute;
- Communicate with tact and courtesy;
- Respond to routine inquiries;
- Use proper English in filing and indexing and other identifying tasks;
- Use proper English with correct spelling and punctuation;
- Follow oral and written directions;
- Operate modern office equipment, including computers;
- Adapt to changing work demands;
- Manage task priorities to meet deadlines;
- Work under varying degrees of stress;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of individuals and small groups;
- Read and comprehend fine print such as contracts, spreadsheets and texts;
- Communicate effectively via telephone, computer modem and in person;
- Lift/move materials weighing up to 50 pounds.
Range 33 | Personnel Commission Approved: 06/11/91
Reviewed: 12/13/94 | sg