(Eureka)—Twenty-one high school seniors, representing Humboldt County high schools were honored as Humboldt County’s Academic Achievement Team in an online ceremony, Wednesday, April 14. Humboldt County Office of Education (HCOE) scheduled the online ceremony for the second year due to the pandemic to recognize these exceptional students.
“The Academic Achievement Team and Stellar Students announcement is a joyful opportunity to honor outstanding high school seniors from across the county that have used their academic talents to make a positive and significant impact in their schools and communities,” according to Karen Brooks, HCOE Academic Achievement Awards program coordinator. “They all have shown vast leadership in so many arenas and it’s an honor to recognize these amazing scholars!”
Members of the team were selected based upon their exemplary academic performance, significant involvement in extra-curricular activities, proven leadership abilities, excellent communication skills and a commitment to their community.
The event culminated with the naming of two Stellar Students for 2021. Klayre Barres of Eureka High School and Alyssa Pedicino of Arcata High School were the top honorees. Klayre and Alyssa were selected by a panel of community members in recognition of their exceptional accomplishments and potential to make significant impacts in the future. Three students received acknowledgement in the Inspiration Award: Alejandra Aguilar Arce, Fortuna High School; Dora D’Accardo Hineman, Eureka High School and Emma Boykin, Hoopa High School shared in receiving this prestigious award of inspiration.
“Congratulations to each one of our academic achievers,” said Humboldt County Superintendent of Schools, Dr. Chris Hartley. “These students represent our collective pride in our schools and are examples of dedication, resilience, and commitment to excellence.”
The Humboldt County Office of Education Student Events program distributed scholarships totaling $7,000 to the stellar students.
The 2021 Academic Achievement Team
- Arcata High School – Alyssa Pedicino*, Kayla Jay, Vivian Gerstein
- Eureka High School – Klayre Barres*, Dora D’Accardo Hineman**, Kelli Johnston, Steven Hadley
- Ferndale High School – Colson Renner
- Fortuna High School – Alejandra Aguilar Arce**, Annabell Young, Megan Dixon
- Hoopa Valley High School – Emma Boykin**
- McKinleyville High School – Isabella Sundberg, Mackenzie Bray
- Northern Union Humboldt Charter High School – Dakota Donner
- St. Bernard’s Academy – Remy Campbell
- Academy of the Redwoods – Chloe Latt
- Alder Grove Charter School – Chandler Mrotzek
- North Coast Preparatory Academy – Isabelle Ely
- Six Rivers Charter High School – Emma Scott
- South Fork High School – Virali Patel
The awards ceremony may be viewed in its entirety online. Please visit https://hcoe.org/aa-team/ for more. To discover more information about HCOE’s Academic Achievement Awards, please contact Karen Brooks at (707) 445-7563.
* = Stellar Student Honorees
** = Inspiration Award Honorees