California law requires school districts to provide an education to any student who resides within the district’s attendance area. Although students have the right under California law to a free, public education, the law does not guarantee that a student can attend the school of his or her choice, or even the neighborhood school.
To request interdistrict attendance for your child, complete the form below and submit it to your District of Residence. If you are unsure of your district of residence, use our District Locator Tool.
Denial of a Request
A “denial” is a written rejection of a request, but also includes a school district’s failure to provide written notification of the school district’s decision within 10 school days after February 1 or the first school day after February 1 if it falls on a weekend (for the DOR) or 15 school days after the close of the DOR’s period to respond or 5 school days from receipt of the approved IDT Permit from the DOR, whichever is later (for the DPE) . A “denial” shall not include any of the following:
- A request that has been deemed abandoned, meaning the Parent has not met required timelines.
- An existing interdistrict transfer permit that has been revoked or rescinded in accordance with the policy of the governing board of the school district.
- A denial by the DPE when no permit has been first issued by the DOR.
Inter-District Forms can be filled out electronically by selecting the file labeled with “(Word File)” and opening it with MS Word. Just download the file to your desktop, open it in Word, fill it out and print it. All other files are in PDF Format (requires a PDF viewer such as Adobe Acrobat Reader)
- Board Policy 5117 – Interdistrict Attendance Appeals
- Exhibit 5117 E – Interdistrict Attendance Appeal Handbook
- Inter-District Appeal Request Word | PDF
- Inter-District Checklist Word | PDF
Districts with Interdistrict Agreements
The following districts are participating in Humboldt County’s Multi-District Interdistrict Attendance Agreement:
- Blue Lake
- Eureka City Schools
- Fortuna Elementary
- Green Point
- Jacoby Creek
- Klamath-Trinity Joint USD
- Maple Creek
- Northern Humboldt HSD
- Pacific Union
- South Bay
- More may be added as signed agreements are received.