Seventeen high school seniors, representing ten local high schools, were honored as Humboldt County’s 2020 Academic Achievement Team in a first ever online ceremony, Thursday, April 9. Humboldt County Office of Education (HCOE) scheduled this online ceremony due to our current shelter-in-place orders, but with the interest in maintaining a platform to recognize these exceptional students.
“The Academic Achievement Team and Stellar Student announcement is a joyful opportunity to honor stand out high school seniors from across the county that have used their academic talents to make a positive and significant impact in their schools and communities,” states Olivia Kernen, student events program coordinator. “They all have shown vast leadership in so many arenas and it is an honor to recognize these rising stars.”
Members of the team were selected based on their exemplary academic performance, significant involvement in extracurricular activities, proven leadership abilities, excellent communication skills, and a displayed commitment to their community. The average grade point average for the team is 4.37.
The event culminates with the naming of two Stellar Students. This year, Marina Benson from Eureka High School, and Jocelyn Bliven from Arcata High School were the top honorees selected by a panel of community members in recognition of their exceptional accomplishments and potential to make a significant impact in the future.
“Congratulations to each one of our academic achievers,” says Humboldt County Superintendent of Schools, Dr. Chris Hartley. “These students represent our collective pride in our schools and are examples of dedication, resilience, and commitment to excellence.”
Each member of the Academic Achievement Team received a scholarship and certificate. The two Stellar Student award winners each received an additional scholarship and a special certificate to commemorate their selection.
The Humboldt County Office of Education Student Events program distributed scholarships totaling $5,500 to the stellar students.
2020 Academic Achievement Team:
- Arcata High School – Jocelyn Bliven, Jason Tuermer-Lee
- Eureka High School – Marina Benson, Miles Meynell, Angelina Wescott, Anastasia Young
- Ferndale High School – Dominic Regli
- Fortuna Union High School – Jennifer Ramirez, Grace Shaha
- Hoopa Valley High School – Jasmine W. Kinney
- McKinleyville High School – Angelina Giraud, Sofia Potter
- Bernard’s Academy – William Omey
- Academy of the Redwoods – Samy Awwad
- Alder Grove Charter School – Autumn Marsh
- North Coast Preparatory Academy – Siena Costanza
- Six Rivers Charter High School – Fiona Seibert